Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Strength, not weakness: a Bible study

"When the morning leaves (and it always leaves) the sky burns and all clouds turn to ash" someone wrote on tumblr. When hope and sunlight (metaphorically sunlight) leave you, remember what the Bible says about God: "The Lord is my strength and my song, and He has become my salvation" (Exodus 15:2) Exodus also says, "The Lord is a warrior" (Exodus 15:3). Isaiah writes, "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous hand" (Isaiah 41:10) and "Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them" (Isaiah 41:12) and "But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint" (Isaiah 3=40:31). God is telling us that He wants us to be strong. We are made in His image: He is a Warrior, so we're meant to be His warriors too.

Jesus writes, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). What does it mean to be constantly in prayer? To me, it means we are in fellowship with the Lord throughout the day. The back of my mind is always praying. Wake up and thank God. Pray before you eat. Pray when you're happy. Pray when you're sad. Ask God what your sadness means. Pray when you're empty: ask Jesus to come into your heart and fill you so demons don't get a chance to get into your head: fill your head with Jesus instead, and you will be filled with peace and calm.

Psalm 121 says (and I've been looking for this in the Bible for a long time), "The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night" (Psalm 121). This means the sun can't cause cancer. It can cause freckles and moles, but God heals us of those flaws and "imperfections". We are imperfect. We're meant to be imperfect. We are a work in progress: God's artwork. We are the clay, He is the maker. It says that somewhere in the Bible..

Back to the New Testament again. Jesus says, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" (Phillipians 4:13) and "...for I have learned how to be content whatever the circumstances" (Phillipians 4:11b). Yahweh gives us strength, and helps us to be content (and patient) no matter what. He gives us the strength to wait. He wants us to be calm, and worship while we're waiting for our hearts' desires (for me, that's getting my family back, going to gymnastics and getting my back layout, front aerial, and back handspring - I know I'll get it quickly because I did it for a trillion years).

Genesis says, "...Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything" (Genesis 9:3) The "green plants" refer to cannabis - ganja. It is a gift from God. When the Bible says "calamus", the prophet means "Cannabis"...it was just lost in translation. Genesis also says, "But you must not eat meat that has lifeblood still in it" (Genesis 9:4). The Bible is telling us to be vegan, except for meat and seafood created not from animals but just from God's hand, without the chemicals or hormones or GMOs that the animals eat. It doesn't come from animals, but still I believe it is unhealthy and tastes terrible to me. I try hard to be vegan, but I slip up sometimes.

God doesn't want us to be weak. He wants us to be unafraid, and to fly with wings like eagles. Nobody has to die - the New Testament never says people have to die. If they did, God would wake their body up and carry them to heaven.

Jesus writes in Corintheans, "Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corintheans 12:10) This simply means that Jesus turns our weaknesses into strength. Jesus also writes, "Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." (Mathew 26:41). It is our spirit that makes us strong, then. However, the flesh doesn't HAVE to be weak: Mathew was talking about humans. When you are filled with evil desires "of the flesh", you are weak. When you are filled with the Holy Spirit, and keep your mind stayed on compassion, love, good works, joy, and peace, your entire being is strong.

In Romans, a prophet inspired by Yahweh, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit says, "We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up." (Romans 15:1-2) The strong protect the weak. The archangels, angels, elves, faeries, hobbits, and sprites are meant to help the humans transform, and become angelic and then archangelic. We are meant to dedicate our lives to God, not just for ourselves. God wants us to be happy, filled with strength (inner power) and joy and love. He wants us to do the activities that bring us true joy. For me, it is gymnastics, ballet, figure skating, and kung fu. I also enjoy writing essays on literature and making music and studying music theory and learning my secret kanguages (elvish, faerie, and archangel). All of these things I am waiting for will happen in time. I am content as I wait. Being content in all situations makes one strong.

So don't give up and don't lose courage or compassion. You never know what's going on in your neighbor's head, so don't judge. Help them. Strengthen them. Forgive them. Love them.

That's it for now,
Rebecca :) <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment